Joanne M. Murphy
Associate Professor (Aegean archaeology, Archaeological Methods and Theory)
Office: 1107 MHRA
Phone: no direct line; leave message on general office phone: 336-334-5214
At UNCG Since: 2008
on leave Fall 2020
Ph.D. University of Cincinnati – 2003
M.A. University of Cincinnati – 2000
M.A. University College Dublin – 1994
B.A. (Hons) University College Dublin– 1992
Dr. Murphy’s research focuses on diverse elements of the Greek Bronze Age, including mortuary and religious activities, production and prestige, and archaeological methods. Currently she is working on the publication of the Bronze Age tombs around the Palace of Nestor in Southwestern Greece and continues her study of the religious and funerary activities on Minoan Crete. Most recently she has started a field project on the Greek island of Kea, which explores the value of surface survey as an archaeological method.
- Death in Late Bronze Age Greece: Variations on a Theme, edited volume. Oxford University Press. 2020.
- Ritual in Archaic States, edited volume. University Press of Florida. 2016.
- Prehistoric Crete: Regional and Diachronic Studies on Mortuary Systems, edited volume. INSTAP Academic Press. 2011.
- “Late Bronze Age Tombs at the Palace of Nestor, Pylos” In J. M. A. Murphy (Ed.) Death in Late Bronze Age Greece: Variations on a Theme, co-authored with S. R. Stocker, J. L. Davis, L. A. Schepartz, Oxford University Press, pp. 26-44. 2020.
- “Mycenaean Hierarchy and Gender Roles: Diet and Health Inequalities in Late Bronze Age Pylos, Greece,” co-authored with L. A. Shepartz, S. R. Stocker, J. L. Davis, A. Papathanasiou, S. Miller-Antonio, M.P. Richards, E. Malapani. In H. D. Klaus, A. R. Harvey, and M.N. Cohen (Eds). Bones of Complexity. Bioarchaeological Case Studies of Social Organization and Skeletal Biology, University Press of Florida, pp. 141-172. 2017.
- “The Power of the Ancestors at Pylos,” In E. Alram-Stern, F. Blakolmer, S. Deger-Jalkotzy, R. Laffineur, and J. Weilhartner (Eds.), Metaphysis: Ritual, Myth and Symbolism in the Aegean Bronze Age, Aegaeum 39, Peeters, pp. 439 – 446. 2016.
- “Same, Same, but Different: Ritual in the Archaic States of Pylos and Mycenae,” In J. Murphy (Ed.) Ritual and Archaic States, University Press of Florida, pp. 50-75. 2016.
Selected Awards and Honors
- Junior Research Excellence Award, UNCG. 2020.
- Senior Teaching Excellence Award, College of Arts and Sciences, UNCG. 2020.
- Gladys Strawn Bullard Award for Outstanding Service and Leadership, UNCG. 2020.
- Transforming Undergraduate Education at a Minority Serving Institution: Integrating Interdisciplinary Research Across the Humanities, Andrew W Mellon Foundation. 2018.
- NEH Fellowship at the American School of Classical Studies at Athens. 2015.
- Director of Kea Archaeological Research Survey (KARS), 2011 – Present