Susan C. Shelmerdine
Professor Emerita (Greek & Latin pedagogy, Greek poetry)
At UNCG Since: 1981-2022
Ph.D. University of Michigan – 1981
A.M. University of Michigan – 1977
A.B., cum laude, Smith College – 1976
Dr. Shelmerdine is especially interested in Greek and Latin pedagogy and in early Greek poetry.
- Introduction to Greek, 3rd ed., Cynthia W. Shelmerdine. Focus an Imprint of Hackett Publishing. 2020.
- Introduction to Latin, 2nd ed. Focus an Imprint of Hackett Publishing. 2013; 1st edition 2005, revised 2007.
- The Homeric Hymns. Focus an Imprint of Hackett Publishing. 1995; revised edition 2000.
- Greek for Reading, G. Seligson (primary author) and A. Loftus. Univ. of Michigan Press. 1994.
- “Pindaric Praise and the Third Olympian,” Harvard Studies in Classical Philology 91 (1987) 65-81.
- “Odyssean Allusions in the Fourth Homeric Hymn,” Transactions of the American Philological Association 116 (1986) 49-63.
- “Hermes and the Tortoise: A Prelude to Cult,” Greek, Roman and Byzantine Studies 25 (1984) 201-208.
Selected Awards and Honors
- The Order of the Long Leaf Pine, State of North Carolina, 2022
- Ovatio, Classical Association of the Middle West and South, 2007
- Merita Award, American Classical League, 2005
- Outstanding Regional Vice President, Classical Association of the Middle West and South, 1998, 2003, 2004
- National Endowment for the Humanities Fellowship, 1996-1997
- Alumni Teaching Excellence Award (senior), UNCG, 1991-1992
- Junior Fellowship, The Center for Hellenic Studies, Washington, D.C., 1985-1986